Friday, June 3, 2016

Paxton Joseph (Birth Story)

Friday, May 27th I woke up with a headache and mild contractions.I was 36 weeks and 6 days. I went about my morning, taking care of Parley, sending Cameron off to work. I kept monitoring how I was feeling for the next couple of hours. Around 10:30 things were getting more painful, and I needed to really sit down and count my contractions properly. Cameron came home from work and took Parley and I sat on the couch timing contractions from 11:30-12:30. Most were 6 minutes apart, with random contractions 4 minutes apart thrown in there. I had one at 12:05 that was the most painful and I knew right then it was officially the day! We had arranged with my brothers to take care of Parley, hospital bag was packed, and we called my mom and headed off!

I had to sit in patient administration for awhile as they updated all my information. I kept getting hot flashes and tried to sit as calm as possible, breathing through my contractions. They finally took me back to triage to change and get hooked up to monitors. I thought I would just die sitting in triage. I knew my body was changing quickly and knew there was no way they'd be sending me home. They checked my cervix and i was dilated to a 5. After that cervix check the pain kicked in, and I mean kicked in HARD. They decided to check me again and I jumped to a 7! I immediately started to panic inside. I wanted my epidural, and I wanted it NOW.

The hospital was waiting for my doctor to call them back and allow me to be admitted. I remember thinking how ridiculous that sounded...I was in full blown labor I don't need permission to be here!! He finally called and everything after that was such a blur. They immediately rolled me into a delivery room, and I remember things were just spinning. I felt like I had no control over my body or what I was saying. The anesthesiologist was amazing and was already in my room, set up and ready to go. They helped position me on the bed and my epidural was delivered. HALLELUJAH. This time around it was more painful than with Parley, but oh was I grateful to have it.

Then things started slowing down. I felt like myself again. Throughout my labor the nurse had me rotating on a peanut ball to help things move along. This labor was so incredible, I never got to that super super numb point that I did with Parley. I was able to move my own legs the whole time, which I loved so much. I'm so grateful for modern medicine. I was so happy I was able to be calm and more relaxed and at peace for this process.Cameron gave me a blessing for a healthy and safe delivery and that Paxton would be fully developed and healthy. Dr. Layton came in at 5 pm to check me again and break my water. When he was doing my cervix check my water broke! Such a weird feeling, same as with Parley. A big loud POP and gush of warm water. I was dilated to an 8 and he said he wouldn't be surprised if baby came in an hour! Then I started to feel a ton of pressure. I looked over at the monitor and sure enough, contraction. I told the nurse I felt like I needed to push and things moved quickly again! It was time! And amazingly enough I could feel each time I needed to push! I pushed hard through 2 contractions and our boy was here! Such a beautiful moment getting to see his sweet face for the first time. I couldn't believe we did it.

I tore the same little scar tissue from my delivery with Parley, so I was given one stitch to help that heal back. We did lots of skin to skin and it was wonderful. He latched on right away like a total champ and we had our first breastfeeding experience together. That moment was incredible. Paxton weighed in at 7 pounds 15 ounces! 20 and 3/4 inches long!

This past week with him has been bliss. He has brought such a sweet spirit with him, and you can just feel heaven is so near with him around. I truly have never felt more happiness than I have this last week. I have felt such a sense of fulfillment adding him to our family. He has the sweetest personality and I feel like I've known him forever. It's such a strange thing how that can happen so quickly. Just meeting your child for the first time and you can't remember what it was like without them. He completes me in so many ways and has filled so many voids and holes I have felt for a long time. Heavenly Father truly gave me what I needed, and I couldn't be more grateful.


Birth Video





No comments:

Post a Comment